December 7, 2017
Company: SDS Lumber Company
Location: Bingen, WA
This position is located in the heart of the Columbia River Gorge in Bingen, WA. SDS Lumber Company is a fully-integrated forest products company with manufacturing facilities at its Bingen location and managing a 123,000-acre tree farm in Washington and Oregon. SDS operations include saw and plywood mills, a chipping facility, an energy plant, and its own logging and marine divisions.
This position fulfills the forest engineering role of SDS’s land management operations. It includes planning and management of engineering-related functions and oversight of road construction and maintenance activities. The successful candidate will participate in a team environment to accomplish a myriad of other functions ranging from harvest planning to silvicultural burning.
The position reports to the SDS Chief Forester and is part of a 5-person forestry staff managing the timberland holdings and working to support the manufacturing operations. It requires close coordination with other key players including Logging Superintendent, Log Yard Supervisor, Facilities Supervisor, and accounting staff, among others.
Key Roles and Functions:
- Apply engineering principles to the development of road and harvest plans, field layout, road construction activities, and RMAP obligations.
- Oversee rock quarry development and jointly manage SDS’s rock sales program. Manage rock crushing operations and oversee MSHA responsibilities.
- Initiate and complete forest practice applications with state agencies.
- Coordinate with geotechnical and other specialized expert consultants as appropriate.
- Ensure compliance with state and federal rules and regulations relevant to forest practices, wildlife, and environmental resources.
- Negotiate and arrange for right-of-way/easement access for harvesting operations.
- Ensure property lines are accurately located and oversee boundary surveys.
- Negotiate and administer contracts.
- Lead by example and ensure compliance with safety policy and regulations.
- Interface with a multitude of neighbors and agency representatives.
- B.S. Forest or Civil Engineering or closely related field
- A minimum of 3-years of experience with logging road/harvest layout and road construction.
- Strong analytical skills and familiarity with software applications related to engineering functions.
- Ability to spend much of the time in the field on steep, rugged terrain in all types of weather.
- Knowledgeable about Washington State forest practice rules and permitting process.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Pass a post-offer drug screen.
- Working knowledge of ARCGIS and RoadEng.
- First-hand experience with operating heavy equipment and/or working in logging operations.
Interested candidates may respond to firstname.lastname@example.org by 1/15/2018